If a person is injured because of a government employee’s failure to provide safe and necessary services or their outright dangerous errors, then that injured individual may be entitled to file a compensation lawsuit against the worker or agency responsible. However, while the government does allow many of these claims to be filed against its own agencies, there are a special set of rules regarding negligence claims against the federal government. Anyone considering legal action should know these rules before filing a claim.
An injury caused by a government employee or agency may leave you with significant financial obligations that can quickly become difficult to manage. Fortunately, however, compensation may be available to help you cover these costs and restore your financial stability. To learn more about how we may be able to guide you through this legal process and strengthen your claim, contact an Arkansas personal injury lawyer of the Cottrell Law Office, at 800-364-8305 today.

Federal Tort Rules

According to the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA), the federal government is responsible for hearing out a variety of negligence-based claims brought against its own agencies and institutions. With a few important exceptions, namely including the military, injured individuals are allowed to file for fair compensation after an injury caused by the government. The following rules should be followed, though:

  • Any claims must be filed within two years of the injury
  • Any available information and details about the injury and incident should be included in the claim when filed
  • A full account of injury expenses should be filed with the claim
  • The agency will internally review the claim at first
  • If the agency disputes the claim, the claimant may file legal action within six months

If successful, these injury compensation lawsuits can provide the opportunity to win back medical costs, out-of-pocket expenses, and even lost wages after an injury. For anyone facing these kinds of financial burdens, this compensation can prove invaluable.

Contact Us

If you or someone you love has sustained an injury because of a government worker’s negligence, compensation for those injury expenses may be available through legal action. To discuss how to prepare for a claim and how we may be able to assist you when you’re ready to take action, contact the Arkansas personal injury attorney of the Cottrell Law Office, by calling 800-364-8305 today.